Monday, September 16, 2013

The Flexavegan Life (and why I choose to not eat meat)..... Part I


I have to apologize in advance for the absence of a recipe (and food pictures) in this post. Although I originally created this blog to be a resource for healthy, wholesome recipes, I also hope to be able to provide you with more information regarding healthy eating and living. Today, I want to talk with you about my diet and why I choose not to eat meat (and most animal products).

If I were to put a label on what I eat, it would have to be considered flexavegan. Why 'flexavegan'? you might ask. Simply put, I am not a big fan of the word 'never'.... you can never eat meat, you can never have dairy, etc. That just does not sit well with me. What fun would life be if you lived by such rigid guidelines? Plus, I find it much easier to fall off the bandwagon when we tell ourselves that we can't ever have certain foods. Let's be honest. We are all human, and at some point we are bound to crack. By considering myself a flexavegan, I allow myself the flexibility to take life in stride. If I am going out to eat, and there are no vegan options, then it's ok, I will pick the healthiest possibility. Of course, I do have certain foods that I rarely eat, but this has more to do with my other personal manifesto than the foods being vegan.

Instead of telling myself that I can't have certain foods, I like to phrase it a different way.

 "I choose not to put this (certain food) in my body".

 By making this a choice, I am empowering myself to fuel my body with healthy, nourishing foods. We are only given one body. Although our bodies are forgiving, ultimately what we do eat will have a direct impact on the efficiency of our system.... in other words, how healthy we are. We've all heard the phrase "you are what you eat". If we constantly feed on calorie-dense foods such as red meat, french fries, processed sugars and white flours, we will be just that.... dense, heavy and sluggish. If we choose to eat more nutrient-dense foods such as green leafy veggies, fruits, legumes, grains and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, oils) we will feel lighter, energized and happier.

If you could choose between feeling heavy and sluggish or light and energized, which would you choose?

Remember, my friends, the choice is yours! You have the power to decide what to nourish your body with and how you want to feel!

I choose to not eat meat and most animal products for a variety of reasons. As I said earlier, what we put in our bodies has a direct impact on our health. Eating foods high in saturated fats, bad cholesterol and sodium do nothing but increase our risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity. Dairy products also negatively impact our health as they contribute to inflammation in our body.

But what about protein and calcium? How will you have strong muscles and bones?

There is an unfortunately common myth that people on a plant-based diet don't get enough protein, calcium and vitamin B12. However, if you look at some of the world's strongest animals, they too do not eat meat. You can get more than enough protein from eating a diet rich in leafy green veggies, wholesome grains (quinoa, brown rice, millet, etc), legumes and a healthy proportion of seeds and nuts. As far as calcium in concerned, any green leafy veggie (besides spinach) will provide you plenty of calcium. However, it should be noted that recent research is finding that too much calcium may be contributing to bone fractures. Calcium is responsible for giving our bones their rigidity. Collagen, on the other hand allows our bones to be flexible. We want our bones to have the correct proportion of calcium and collagen, so that our bones can be strong, but flexible. If we get too much calcium, we won't have the flexibility needed to prevent our bones from easily fracturing upon impact. As for vitamin B12, this is something that almost everyone in our culture may need to supplement. One easy (and natural) way to get your daily dose of B12 is to add maca root, or maca powder to your meals. You can learn more about Maca powder and how to use it in smoothies here.

Through my flexavegan, plant-based lifestyle, I have found my true health and happiness, which for me are the two best gifts one could ever ask for. However, I do want to note that not all bodies are created equal. What works for me, may not work for you. Although everyone can benefit from reducing their meat, dairy, & processed foods consumption, when it comes to finding balance, you will need to experiment with yourself to see what the best combination is for YOU. In the end, if you feel better eating a little bit of meat each week, that is OK. All of the benefits listed in the table above will apply to you if you still choose to have the majority of your foods plant-based.

In summary.......

The 3 most important things to remember about having a flexavegan lifestyle:

1. It's ok if you are not 100% plant-based. As long as you try to aim for 80-90%, you can let yourself indulge 10-20% of the time. The key is making this a lifestyle... not a diet.

2. What you put in your body is a choice. If you are having difficulty staying away from those pringles, ask yourself this: "Do I want to nourish my body with this food?". Remember, it is your choice how you treat your body!

3. Bioindividuality: What works for me (or your cousin, or your coworker) may not work for you. LISTEN to what your body is telling you. Allow your body to guide you in the right direction. Our bodies are incredibly brilliant. Just think about how many things your body is doing right this instant as you read this. Trust me, if you listen and observe, your body will direct you to the right foods.

To learn more about the individual benefits listed in the table above, stay tuned for next healthy living blog post... Part II




No comments:

Post a Comment