Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Raw(lectable) Pad Thai


This is one of my favorite dishes to make on a hot summer day. It's cool, light and very refreshing. It also keeps you full for quite a long time. With the hot and humid weather recently, I have rarely wanted to use my stove or oven, and this is a perfect meal to avoid doing so.

When I was first introduced to the idea of raw noodles, I was very skeptical. Raw zucchini? Yuck. I have always been a big fan of zucchini, but always, always, cooked. Never raw. This was a big leap for me, so the first time I decided to try it, I heated the zucchini noodles up. This definitely helped with the transition, although I wouldn't recommend it if you like raw zucchini already.... especially for this dish. Now I actually enjoy the noodles raw. The colder, the better. That way they have a nice crisp crunch. A raw Pad Thai is just one of the ways to use zucchini noodles. You can also do a raw spaghetti marinara, creamy butternut squash pasta or even a raw pesto pasta. The options are endless! The recipe I will be sharing with you today is very versatile. Feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand to add to the zucchini. Soy beans, bean sprouts, carrots and bell peppers are some of my favorites! 

Raw(lectable) Pad Thai
~ Serves 2-3~

Ingredients: 
For the Pad Thai:
~ 3 medium zucchinis
~ 3 carrots
~ 1 red bell pepper, diced
~ 1 cup soybeans 
~ 1/2 cup bean sprouts 
~ 1/2 cup jicama, pealed and diced 
~ 1/4 cup green onion, diced  

For the sauce: 
~ 1/4 cup tamari or Bragg's liquid aminos 
~ 2-3 Tbsp rice vinegar (or, if available, honey ginger balsamic vinegar)
~ 1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
~ 1 Tbsp sesame oil
~ 1 clove garlic, minced
~ 2 tsp ginger, minced 

For garnish: 
~ 1/4 cup sesame seeds 
~ 3 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
~ lime juice


There are a few ways to create zucchini noodles. The first is to use a spiralizer. This fancy machine will easily spiral your veggies, giving you nice veggie noodles. If you don't have one of these, not to worry! You can also use a vegetable peeler, and it will work just as well. The last option, and my favorite, is to use a julienne peeler. This is my favorite.





After you have peeled your zucchini and carrots, add in the rest of the Pad Thai ingredients. To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl, and pour over the Pad Thai. Top with sesame seeds, cilantro and fresh lime juice.... and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment