Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mango Blueberry Superfood Smoothie




I have been fighting a horrid sinus infection for the last few days. Although it has been no fun, I have yet to resort to traditional sinus medication. Instead, I am providing my body with nourishing, healing foods, and letting it do its job. This is the first time I have been sick since changing over to a clean, wholesome lifestyle. In fact, the timing is quite telling. I have just returned from a family vacation, and although I did try to eat as healthy as possible, I did end up eating a lot of things that I normally do not indulge in.... including processed sweets, dairy, fried food, and meat. Ok, it was not my finest moment. I do find it quite interesting though.... the moment I take a little hiatus from my normally healthy lifestyle, I get sick. Coincidence? I think not.

So. What to do when you want to restore your health? I have found my best ally to be superfood smoothies. As the name implies, they are packed full of all the healthy ingredients you could ask for. Plus they taste fantastic! Here is one of my favorites:

Mango Blueberry Superfood Smoothie
~ Serves 2~

Ingredients: 
~ 1 banana
~ 1 cup blueberries
~ 2 cups packed spinach
~ 1 cup mango slices
~ 1 cup coconut water
~ 1 cup (cold) tea, I used a lemon-ginger tea
~ 1/3 cup almonds
~ 1/4 cup goji berries 
~ 1 teaspoon of the following: chlorella, maca, camu camu
~ Ice




As always, place all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Cheers! 

The Power of Superfoods: 

In case you are a unfamiliar with some of the superfoods I used in this smoothie, here's a little info about each: 

Camu Camu: The fruit from the Mycaria dubia tree is one of the highest natural sources of vitamin C. The powder form that I use comes from the pulp of the fruit, which is then processed into a powder. 

Chlorella: As a green algae, chlorella is one of the highest sources of chlorophyll, which helps to reduce body odor and bad breath. It also contains 60% protein, all essential amino acids, and more than 20 vitamins and minerals. Chlorella is also used to help treat cancer and protect the body from the harmful effects of radiation. 

Goji Berries: One of the oldest superfoods around, goji berries are known for their incredible nutrient density. Similar to Chlorella, goji berries also contain high amounts of amino acids and vitamins/minerals. They are also high in antioxidants, which are thought to help fight off free radicals in the body. 

Maca: The maca root, grown in peru, is part of the radish family, and is known as the peruvian ginseng for its energy boosting properties. Maca is also very high in B12 and protein, which can be very beneficial for those eating a vegetarian diet. Maca has also been commonly used to alleviate menstrual issues and menopause. It can also be used to help with mood balance, anxiety and stress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment